Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
This is a true comfort food recipe. Similar to a pot pie but with drop black pepper biscuits on top instead of a crust. You can add corn or peas too. Love it on a cold night!
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add all remaining filling ingredients; mix well. Spoon into greased baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine all biscuit ingredients; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls over chicken mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees. for 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.