1/5 Photos of Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pasta
This pasta is packed with nutrients, potassium from the spinach and calcium from the evaporated milk, which has 80% more calcium than regular milk. Serve with a crisp green salad. From Canadian Living Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (385 ml) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 5 cups whole wheat penne (12oz/375g)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed (recipe states half bag 10oz/284g pkg?)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt, to taste
- hot pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over med-high heat, brown chicken and transfer to a bowl.
- 2drain off any fat from pan, add onion (not green onion) garlic and black pepper, fry over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes, sprinkle with flour, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- 3return chicken along with juices from chicken to pan.
- 4add evaporated milk, cook stirring and without boiling, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes. adjust seasoning if needed.
- 5meanwhile, in pot of boiling salted water cook penne until tender but firm, about 12 minutes, add spinach, drain and return to pot, add chicken mixture, red pepper, basil, lemon juice and green onions: toss to combine.
- 6serve while hot. if desired spinkle indivdual servings with hot pepper flakes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.9
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 248.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 49.9 g