Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A comfortable dish for a hearty appetite!
- 4 cups potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons bacon
- 1 carrot
- 1 head of broccoli
- 3⁄4 cup onion
- Cook about 2 strips of bacon first, cool, then chop into bits, or use your favorite bacon bits.
- Slice potatoes thinly as though for scalloped potatos.
- Slice the carrot the same thickness as the potatos.
- Chop boneless skinless chicken into bits sized pieces.
- Chop the broccoli into bite sized pieces.
- Chop 1 medium onion, or use about 3/4 cup of chopped onion.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes, carrot, chicken and broccoli in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over this mixture.
- Repeat with second layer of both items above, pouring remaining cheese mixture over after all items are placed inside.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color, don't over do, just sprinkle it.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.