Found this in Paula Deen's magazine "Cooking with Paula Deen". It is a little different from some I have seen and quite tasty. She uses heavy cream (of course) but I have made it with the heavy cream and also with evaporated milk which isn't as heavy. I changed the recipe to use fresh vegetables when possible and some garlic.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 (8 7/8 ounce) packagewhole grain brown ready rice, cooked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
- In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently or until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, tarragon, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add broth and cream (evaporated milk or 2% milk); cook for 10-12 minutes, or until soup is thickened. Add chicken, rice, and peas; cook for 5-6minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.