Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth (or 2 cups water and 2 bouillon cubes)
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (fast cooking)
- 1 (7 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- parsley (for garnish)
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, add chopped onion and saute in butter until onion is transparent.
- Add a couple tablespoons of water to prevent scorching.
- Add broth, rice, mushrooms, and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with cheese and add a sprig of parsley.
- Note: Soup may be thickened by stirring 2 T flour or cornstarch into a third cup milk, then add to the soup.
- Stir and bring to a boil, then simmer 3-5 minutes.
I used a package of Uncle Ben's White and Wild Rice with seasoning pack and added the extra cooking time necessary for it as it was the closest thing I found for the long grain and wild rice blend. An easy and tasty soup the whole family enjoyed!
I really enjoyed this soup. It was quite easy to make and tasted great.
My family also enjoyed this soup recipe. I was going to thicken it but found it already quite thick with the rice in it, I actually ended up putting another 2 cups of milk in. Thanks for posting. =)