Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A family favorite!
- 12 chicken tenders
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans water
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon whole thyme, crushed
- salt and pepper
- broccoli floret (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a pan, and add rice until it begins to crackle, but not brown. This makes the rice dense, and helps it keep its shape while cooking.
- Whisk together the soups, water, and seasonings.
- Combine all ingredients (except broccoli) in crockpot, and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- During last 30-45 minutes, add broccoli if desired.
DH and I found this delicious. As he's not a fan of brown rice I used a dry pilaf mix of white rice and orzo (it was completely unseasoned) and a single lg chicken breast for 2 servings. Super easy and comfort food pleasing, there was a ton of rice. The mushroom and onion flavors are always a great team. Yummm!
The taste of this was good. I halved the recipe and used cream of celery soup (it's what I had on hand). I served steamed broccoli on the side as we don't like mushy broccoli and I expected it would be if I cooked it with the recipe - even for 30-45 minutes. The family thought the rice was too mushy after cooking in the crock pot for multiple hours. (I did pre-cook the rice as shown in step 1).