Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A friend gave this recipe to me, we make this at least once a month. The kids really enjoy this, do I need to say any more, lol.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 cups cooked chicken (cubed)
- 12 ounces American cheese (cubed)
- 2 cups sour cream (16 ounces)
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter flavored crackers (crushed -about 32)
- Spread rice into greased shallow 3 quart or 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat.
- Add chicken, cheese and sour cream.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pour over rice.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 425°F for 10 - 15 minutes or until heated through.
This is a very good recipe. Loved the crunchy topping on this dish. I will make this a lot I'm sure. Thanks for posting.
Completely fattening, wonderful comfort food. I used some leftover velveeta I had on hand and even substituted fresh garlic for the garlic powder. Delicious, creamy, wonderful.