1 hr 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe in BBC’s Good Food magazine, October 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) free-range chicken, jointed into 8 pieces (you can ask your butcher to do this for you)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped (I like crimini)
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Soak dried porcini in 1 cup hot water for 30 minutes.
- 2Roll the lemon on a hard, flat surface, pressing with your palm, to help release the juices inside. Cut the lemon in half.
- 3Remove the skin from the chicken pieces and rub the cut side of the lemon, squeezing gently, over the meat (use both halves to use all the lemon juice).
- 4Heat oil in a pan large enough to hold the chicken pieces in one layer. Add the prepared chicken and brown on both sides. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter. When it stops foaming, add chopped onion and salt, then sauté until pale gold.
- 7Meanwhile, remove the porcini from the water and rinse well. Pat the porcini dry and chop into small pieces. Strain the water through a sieve, stopping before the last spoonful so that you don’t get the residue from the bottom.
- 8Add porcini and pumpkin pieces to onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- 9Stir in the half and half, 4 to 5 Tbsp of the strained porcini water and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes until reduced slightly, then pour over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- 10Cover and cook in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice and adding a few spoonfuls of water or unsalted chicken broth if the sauce becomes a little dry.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken and Pumpkin
Serving Size: 1 (658 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1128.3
- Calories from Fat 733
- Total Fat 81.4 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 341.1 mg
- Sodium 897.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 79.9 g