Another of my kids favorites! I got this recipe from my mother-in-law and tweeked it a bit. The result has become a staple in our house! Tip: I often make this, put into two small casserole dishes, and freeze one. To bake after frozen, bake covered at 300 for an hour, then 400 for ½ hour and then 15 min uncovered.
- 3 cups medium egg noodles, cooked
- 2 chicken breast halves, browned and chopped or shredded
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken and mushroom soup (or whatever variety you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cheese (save 1/3)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta while browning chicken.
- Sauté vegetables, add garlic for the last minute.
- In large bowl mix all ingredients well and put in 9x13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and bread crumbs on top.
- Cover and bake 30 min at 400, uncover and broil until browned.
2 out of 3 liked this in my house. My husband said it needed something crunchy like french fried onions. Too me it just needed a little bit more seasoning. He is gonna have to eat it again cuz I halfed the recipe to freeze part of it. We thought it tasted like chicken pot pie.
I have made this dish twice--once with re-purposed chicken from two different recipes that needed eating and the other time with leftover Christmas turkey. It is delicious! My whole family loved it. I eyeballed the vegetables, probably putting in half as much again as the recipe calls for (gotta sneak those veggies in whenever I can for the kids) and used half boxes of leftover pasta each time, to use them up. Didn't have the breadcrumbs and too lazy to make them, so just topped the casseroles with cheese. Didn't read the recipe right and didn't cover during baking. Turned out great each time. My family liked it so much that I'm going to make extra of another family baked chicken favorite, just so I'll have leftover chicken to use to make this casserole.
A little time-consuming but a hit! I used egg dumpling noodles - the really wide ones - and more of them, so I added about a can and 1/2 of cream of chicken and more sour cream. Hit the spot as I was looking for some nice comfort food stuff. Thanks!