Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An olive lover's dream. This is adapted from a recipe from Crescent Dragonwagon's Soup and Bread cookbook. I have made several small changes. If you like this recipe, I strongly recommend that you purchase the cookbook. It is full of great comfort food!
- 4 cups water
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (fat trimmed off)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup dry white wine (I use Chardonnay)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, mostly thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, sliced into rounds
- 1⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced into rounds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Put the water in a large soup pot.
- Add the poultry seasoning, dried onions, thyme, Italian herbs, and chicken breasts.
- Boil the chicken until it is done and no pink remains, covered so that not much liquid evaporates.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove chicken breasts from the pot.
- Allow to cool and then cut into chunks.
- Drop the bouillion cubes in the soup pot and add the wine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer while you proceed.
- Saute the onions in the butter in a saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot and saute another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir for 2 minutes over low heat.
- Add a ladle of the stock to the vegetables and stir it around to get all the flour mixture free from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the veggies into the soup pot.
- Let barely simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the half and half, chicken, peas, rice, and olives.
- Allow to just heat through.
- Taste the soup and add salt, pepper, and parsley until it is to your liking.