Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From a Diabetic cookbook. Dietary exchanges are 3 starch, 3 lean meat, and 1 vegetable.
- 4 ounces uncooked yolk-free wide egg noodles
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 ounces reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup (1/2 can)
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in Dutch over over high heat. Add chicken breasts, onions, celery, salt, thyme, bay leaf and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes. Remove chicken. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces; set aside.
- Increase heat to high. Return liquid in Dutch oven to a boil. Continue cooking until liquid and vegetables have reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Whisk in soup and buttermilk. Stir in chicken and pasta.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.