Chef #883660's Note:
This chicken recipe is one of our family favorites. It is a crockpot dish that can be poured over cooked noodles or Stovetop stuffing for a super easy meal. I have included it here with a dumpling recipe I found from another Recipezaar chef. These dumplings are steamed and very simple to make. The combination is delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place chicken and soups in a crock pot. Start at high for one hour then stir and reduce heat to low and cook all day or until the meat is very tender.
- 2When chicken is done carefully remove all bones as they tend to fall apart with cooking. Discard skins. Pull the chicken apart into chunks before serving.
- 3For dumplings, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt in mixing bowl.
- 4Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- 5Stir in milk until just blended.
- 6Place about 1/2 inch water in saucepan with wire rack that comes 2 to 3 inches above water line. Cover rack with lightly oiled waxed paper, oiled side up.
- 7With water gently simmering, drop dumplings by tablespoon onto waxed paper, leaving room in between for expansion. (Use teaspoons to create smaller dumplings and cook in two batches).
- 8Steam 7-8 minutes, uncovered, then cover with a rounded lid right on top of the rack and steam 6-7 minutes longer. (smaller dumplings cook in shorter time, check to see if done inside, but do not overcook).
- 9Serve dumplings on top of bowls of steaming chicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.0
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.2 mg
- Sodium 2399.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g