Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This chicken recipe is one of our family favorites. It is a crockpot dish that can be poured over cooked noodles or Stovetop stuffing for a super easy meal. I have included it here with a dumpling recipe I found from another Recipezaar chef. These dumplings are steamed and very simple to make. The combination is delicious!
- Place chicken and soups in a crock pot. Start at high for one hour then stir and reduce heat to low and cook all day or until the meat is very tender.
- When chicken is done carefully remove all bones as they tend to fall apart with cooking. Discard skins. Pull the chicken apart into chunks before serving.
- For dumplings, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Stir in milk until just blended.
- Place about 1/2 inch water in saucepan with wire rack that comes 2 to 3 inches above water line. Cover rack with lightly oiled waxed paper, oiled side up.
- With water gently simmering, drop dumplings by tablespoon onto waxed paper, leaving room in between for expansion. (Use teaspoons to create smaller dumplings and cook in two batches).
- Steam 7-8 minutes, uncovered, then cover with a rounded lid right on top of the rack and steam 6-7 minutes longer. (smaller dumplings cook in shorter time, check to see if done inside, but do not overcook).
- Serve dumplings on top of bowls of steaming chicken.