Recipe by Cookie1785
This is seriously the best chicken and dumpling soup you will ever have. It's so creamy and pretty easy to make!This is the recipe from Tyler Florence on the Food Network. His recipe uses homemade chicken stock but I just used boxed stock to make it simple and throw in shredded canned chicken.
Top Review by Franne R
This soup may have been great if only the author had written better instructions. Nowhere did the recipe mention adding the first 2tbls of flour much less the 1/4 cup at the end!! The ingredients should have been listed as 1/4 cup plus 2 tables flour and then specifically referred to those in the instructions. I may try this again using my own common sense!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4-1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper, for garnish
- chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, shredded meat
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare Supreme Sauce: In a Dutch oven, melt butter and heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Saute until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes to coat the flour and remove the starchy taste. Slowly pour in the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Let sauce simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Stir in heavy cream.
- Fold the reserved shredded chicken into the sauce and bring up to a simmer. Using 2 spoons, carefully drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dumpling batter into the hot mixture. The dumplings should cover the top of the sauce, but should not be touching or crowded. Let the dumplings poach for 10 to 15 minutes until they are firm and puffy. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
- To prepare the dumplings: sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk together; pour the liquid in the dry ingredients and gently fold. Mix just until the dough comes together, the batter should be thick and cake-like.