Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Note: The ingredients have been corrected to reflect many of the reviewers comments that pecans were listed in the ingredients but pine nuts were mentioned in the instructions..either works great. A creamy cheesy risotto. The nuts add a nice crunch. It's easy to make, and pairs well with an oven baked dish, as it does need some attention while cooking. Contrary to what some say, risotto does not need CONSTANT stirring, but it does need stirred frequently. You don't want to let it go for more than a minute or so without a stir. Using low sodium chicken broth is important, as the cheese can be salty. This was a contest entry for RSC #11.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, chopped small
- 2⁄3 cup arborio rice (or other small or medium grain rice)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus more
- chicken broth, if needed (I use light and fat free)
- 1⁄4 cup grated smoked gouda cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped or 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- Warm chicken broth either on stove or in microwave.
- In a 2 quart saucepan or large skillet (non stick works well) heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Raise heat to medium high, add rice and salt, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, until rice just begins to turn slightly golden in color.
- Add wine and stir until almost completely evaporated.
- Begin adding chicken broth, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- After each 1/2 cup addition of broth, stir frequently, until broth is almost evaporated and add the next 1/2 cup.
- Do the same for each addition of broth, stirring frequently.
- Begin tasting the rice for doneness during the last two additions of broth for tenderness--it should be al dente-tender with a slight bite to it.
- If rice is not done after the last addition, continue cooking as above adding additional 1/2 cups of broth until done. The entire process should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, cayenne and pecans or pine nuts. You can also add the additional teaspoon of butter if you want it extra rich at this point.
- Adjust the salt if needed, remembering that there is a lot of salt in cheese and possibly in the type of broth you use.
- Serve hot.
I left out the nuts completely and used homemade seafood stock instead of chicken broth since I was serving with scallops and shrimp. It was absolutely wonderful and I will make again and again!
FABULOUS Risotto!! I used pine nuts instead of the pecans since I had already toasted them by the time I got confused and they were perfect in the risotto! This is 5 star risotto regardless of the nuts used. I will make this one again and again! Great Submission for RSC 11!
I thought this was really good! I know there was a slight mishap with the nuts, but it can be corrected and the rest of the directions were good. I love a good risotto! thanks and good luck on the contest!