1/1 Photo of Creamy, Cheesy Potato Soup
Fast, easy, creamy, and cheesy! A great weeknight meal when you want something that will stick to your ribs but don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I found this recipe in my mom's recipe collection after she passed away and we love it! The recipe is very forgiving if you need to sub ingredients based on what you have on hand. Don't have broth? Use the potato cooking liquid with a tsp of chicken bouillon mixed in. No heavy cream? No worries, use all milk. I make a lot of soup when the weather turns cold and you know what they say about Wisconsin.... we have 2 seasons, Winter and Road Construction... we eat a lot of soup- LOL :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, diced fine (or 2 tsp granulated onion)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 -5 slices bacon, crumbled (or 1 cup of diced leftover ham)
- 1Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- 2Add potato cubes and stir to make sure they are just covered with water.
- 3Cook potatoes until fork tender, maybe 10 minutes.
- 4Drain potatoes and set aside.
- 5In a large pot melt butter over medium heat and stir in onion. If using real onion cook until just translucent.
- 6Stir in the flour and cook stirring constantly for at least a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. (If you've never worked with roux it will look like a really thick paste at this point. That's great- keep stirring :) ).
- 7Add red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.
- 8Slowly add the 1 cup of broth stirring as you pour it into the roux. Stir until smooth.
- 9Start adding the milk and cream and stir until smooth.
- 10Bring the mixture up to a low simmer stirring constantly. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- 11Add the sugar and the shredded cheese.
- 12Stir until cheese is melted.
- 13Stir in Bacon or Ham and potatoes and cook for 1 minute to heat potatoes thru.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy, Cheesy Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.5
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 134.5 mg
- Sodium 472.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 11.5 g