Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a creation of mine based on a "day before chicken casserole" I found. By precooking the pasta and the veggies you don't have to let it sit or bake long at all. We like this on Summer nights because the vegetables are so light and the sauce is delicious and it means that the cooktop is only on for 15 minutes and the oven is only on for 15 minutes. Any veggies could be substituted depending on your tastes.
- 1 (7 ounce) box small shell pasta or 1 (7 ounce) box macaroni or 1 (7 ounce) box pasta, twists
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (Healthy Request)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup (Healthy Request)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 chicken breasts, diced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Season with salt and olive oil.
- While pasta is cooking, saute the vegetables lightly.
- Add the water chestnuts, chicken, soups and milk.
- Stir to make a creamy sauce and simmer until pasta is done (about 3 minutes).
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the sauce and vegetables to the pasta pot and stir to mix.
- Fold in the velveeta cubes.
- Pour everything into a large, greased casserole dish.
- Bake 15 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve hot.
- To reheat in the microwave, add 1 TBSP of milk and microwave for one minute.
- Stir and microwave until heated through.