Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Not for those on a diet! Rich and creamy with a slight smoky flavor! Serve with crisp French bread and a fresh green salad.
- 4 lbs littleneck clams
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 slice bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, diced finely
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups clam juice (from steaming clams and bottled juice)
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby clams
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- hot pepper sauce
- scallion, thinly sliced (to garnish)
- Steam clams open in a cup of wine in a heavy pot.
- Remove from pot and cool.
- Remove clams from shells.
- Rinse the clams well.
- Strain clam broth through a mesh screen or cheesecloth.
- Add strained broth, broth from canned baby clams, and enough bottled clam juice or water to equal 4 cups.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy pot over MEDIUM heat,cook bacon pieces till crisp add butter melt and cook the onion,celery, carrots, and garlic until translucent.
- Slowly stir in the flour and cook for two minutes, stirring well.
- Add reserved clam juices to the sauté mixture.
- Bring to a boil; whisking thoroughly to break up any lumps, and then reduce heat.
- Add creams and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add white pepper, thyme, potatoes, peas, and steamed clams& the can of baby clams.
- Add cheese till melted through.
- Do not allow to boil as this will toughen the clams.
- Season with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Garnish with scallions.
I'm trying to clear out the cupboards this week of my little odds and ends. I don't have enough of any one thing to make my usual meals, so i thought I'd take this opportunity to be creative. Your recipe is perfect for my panty scraps. I have 4 cheese boxed potatoes, chopped clams, clam juice and everything except carrots. I am going to use your recipe as a base to a boxed soup. Love your ingredients, though and will definitely make the real thing later. Thanks for the creative spurt.
this is a nice flavored chowder, not as heavy as it looks.the clams here were sold individually, so i bought 30, not sure of the weight. i used 4 slices of bacon, and half & half instead of light cream.i also used 2 c of cheese to thicken it a bit, and garnished with chives