Recipe by Jen Andrews
Recipe I got several years ago from Quick Cooking. One of my DH favorite dishes. He loves anything with chicken, cheese and rice! Very flavorful comfort food for those cold winter days.
Top Review by bigmamameg
Lovely recipe that my whole family enjoys. Not the fastest to put together but a lot of the work can be done in advance and this is a great way to use leftovers hanging around in the fridge. I've made one change. I add a layer of chopped fresh broccoli over the rice before I pour on the cheesy chicken mix. The 10-15 mins in the oven is plenty to soften it up a bit, but it isn't soggy or limp by any means. Hubby likes to add tabasco to his serving.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups crushed Ritz crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread rice into a greased 13x9x2 inches dish, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, boullion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; add velvetta, chicken and sour cream.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour over rice.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Toss with crackers.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Baked uncovered at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.