Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This carrot dish is so good, it has a bit of a "kick" to it because of the chili powder. It goes wonderful with anything, you will be making this often. The carrots can be made hours in advance even a day ahead to save time.
- 7 cups carrots, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (about 2 pounds)
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter (can use margarine)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (can use more or less)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook carrots until firm-tender; drain (do not over cook the carrots).
- Layer half of the carrots in the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Layer half of the sliced cheese over the carrots.
- Repeat layers.
- To make sauce: saute onion until soft in butter for about 2 minutes.
- Add/whisk in flour, salt and chili powder (can add in pepper if desired).
- Cook, whisking for 1 minute.
- Add in half and half cream; stir until thick and smooth (about 1 minute).
- Pour the sauce over the carrot/cheese layer.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and melted butter, sprinkle evenly over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Top/sprinkle with the bacon.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.