Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lauren's Latest. These are also known as Funeral Potatoes
- 2 large potatoes, cubed in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese or 3 ounces sour cream
- salt, & pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, divided (such as Kerry Gold Dubliner)
- Place diced potato into a small pot. Pour in enough cold water to cover potatoes. Cover with lid and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until they are barely fork tender. Drain and set aside. Wipe out pot with paper towel and set aside.
- While potatoes simmer, render out bacon slices and brown. Remove to paper towel and pour off excess grease. Saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter in same pan until tender, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make the sauce, place small pot you cooked potatoes in over medium heat. Melt in 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to create a paste. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high and continue whisking until sauce thickens. Reduce heat and stir in cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Stir until cheeses melt and sauce is smooth. Pour cooked potatoes, bacon, onions and sauce into a large bowl. Stir to coat. Pour entire contents of bowl into greased baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes covered with foil. Place under broiler to brown the top if desired. Serve hot.