Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I couldn't help but post this recipe. It really does taste like a cheeseburger! My mom made this once for my brothers and I when we were little. I remember loving the flavor of it. Just the other day out of nowhere I was craving this dish. I did an internet search and found it at backofthebox.com, which is basically a recipe site that has recipes found on the back of boxes. This is a Kraft recipe and the blending of these basic ingredients makes the most delicious macaroni and cheese. I like it because it's hearty and includes beef. The velveeta makes it incredibly creamy and the ketchup adds a hint of sweetness. I prefer to use the big macaroni but any size will do. Mmmmmmm so good! I like to serve steamed veggies on the side.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (optional)
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 12 ounces macaroni
- 1 lb Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cubed
- Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet; drain well.
- Whisk together water, ketchup, and mustard in a bowl. Pour over meat and bring to a boil.
- Add macaroni and turn heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until macaroni is cooked and almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cubed Velveeta cheese until melted and distributed evenly.
This was a very good dish. I added s&p and some onion powder (personal preferance). I will definitely make this again.
This was amazing and soo simple! I will not be making boxed hamburger helper anymore! I added a little salt and pepper. I used 3/4 pound Velveeta White Queso cheese because it was all I had on hand and I shredded about a 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese to mix in. The dish came out rich and flavorful. Loved it!
Tasty! The whole family liked this and it was easy to make, thanks for helping us use Velveeta besides cheese dip.