Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on a recipe from The Western Junior League Cookbook. I just love these!
- 6 flour tortillas
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, seeded and chopped
- For each tortilla, add 1/2 cup cheese and 1 tablespoon green onion as filling. Roll each individually and place in a shallow 8-inch square baking dish.
- In medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly. Whisk in chicken broth to make a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream and green chilies. Stir until smooth.
- Pour sauce over tortillas and bake at 350 degrees farenheit for 20 minutes.
Really good! Very rich! I agree with another reviewer that they were even better the next day. I think I'll tweak the recipe next time to make it healthier by filling the enchiladas with diced veggies )zucchini, mushroom, red pepper, green onions, and maybe some beans) and then smoother with this delicious sauce. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I didn't make any changes to this recipe except... I used the kind of flour tortillas you have to cook yourself (about 1 min or so each side on a hot grill pan), used Kraft's Mexican Style 4 Cheese, and Cacique Crema Mexicana Agria instead of sour cream. This was absolutely the best cheese enchalada we have ever tasted. Restaurants cannot compare!!! Without a doubt it deserves 5 stars!
Rating sauce only and I add garlic powder to my taste. Love it!