Warm and satisfying on a cold winter's night. Serve with a loaf of warm and crusty bread. Use any smooth-melting cheese you like, such as parmesan, white cheddar, monterey jack - use your imagination! But you've got to like asparagus, because that is definitely the star of this show!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/2 cup cream
- 8 ounces shredded cheese
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2In a zip top bag, combine dried thyme, salt and pepper, and toss with chicken. Set aside.
- 3Rinse asparagus, and remove tough stems. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 4In a large soup pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- 5Add the asparagus and garlic and saute until slightly soft.
- 6Push chicken and asparagus to the edge of the pot. Add butter and allow to melt. Stir in flour with a whisk. Whisk for 1 minute.
- 7Pour in chicken stock, and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil.
- 8Add half and half or cream, stir to combine.
- 9Using an immersion blender, blend until mixture thickens slightly and turns a bit green.
- 10Add shredded cheese, stir until it melts.
- 11If the soup is too thin, add the potato flakes and allow to thicken. If you prefer, you could add wild rice instead.
- 12If you like it the way it is, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with warm, crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Cheese & Asparagus Soup With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.0
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 684.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 21.9 g