Recipe by crazycookinmama
Another great potato recipe. The cheese, kind of globs up in certain spots, and you get the best bite of cheesy potatoes imaginable!
Top Review by evelyn/athens
Excellent! I went overboard on the cheese (I always do) and used a full pound. We really loved this cheesey-potato casserole with simple, grilled chicken breasts and I'll be making it often.
- 3 -4 lbs baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine potatoes with enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until potatoes are tender 20 to 25 minutes; drain. Let stand to cool.
- Coat bottom and sides of a 13x9 inch baking dish with butter. Peel the potatoes and coarsely chop. Place in prepared baking dish.
- Heat the cheddar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in milk, whipping cream, salt, dry mustard, nutmeg and black pepper. Pour sauce over potatoes. Chill, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the cover from the potatoes. Bake until potatoes are heated through and lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Serve with baked chicken and green beans, if desired.