Recipe by Transylmania
This is a nice cauliflower soup that my mother used to make. I've added my own touch to it. If you are not a vegetarian, chicken stock would be lovely instead of the vegetable.
Top Review by Schmack
I was looking for a recipe using Buttermilk and Cauliflower, and this fit the bill. I did not have dill so I substituted parsley, and added a couple dashes of Worchestershire Sauce. It was extremely easy to make, and also very easy to customize.
- 1 large cauliflower, cleaned and separated into florets
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot combine the vegetables and stock. Bring to boil, reduce to low, and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft.
- Drain the vegetables, reserving the stock.
- Mash the vegetables together with a potato masher until rather smooth -- you want a few chunks but mostly smooth.
- Return the vegetables to the stock and begin to heat over low heat.
- Add the cheese, buttermilk, dill, salt and pepper. Stir constantly and heat until all is hot -- do not bring to a boil. If you want this thicker you can add some milk combined with flour.
- Serve with more cheese on top and lots of pepper.