Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This savory side dish is a healthy stand-in for mashed potatoes. Vary it by adding roasted garlic, shredded low-fat cheese or fresh chopped herbs. (inspired by a recipe from Eating Well)
- 8 cups cauliflower, cut into bite size florets (about 1 head)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled and cooked with cauliflower
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chives, for garnish
- Cook cauliflower & garlic until very tender.
- Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor.
- Add yogurt, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with chives, if desired drizzle 2 more teaspoons of olive oil. Serve hot.
I joined this site just so I could rate this recipe. The results from this recipe are so impressive considering the simplicty of the ingredients and preparation. If that were not enough, this is so healthy! I cook this recipe on a regular basis and often crave it. I don't even like cauliflower all that much. I brought this to a dinner party and was asked for the recipe and my friends are amazing cooks, some of them culinary school graduates. Admittedly, I steam the cauliflower and garlic together by placing them in a big glass bowl with a tablespoon of water, covered with plastic wrap, and I microwave it. I don't think it hurts the results. My "food snob" friends who make this insists on steaming it on the stove and they add wasabi to it. I often contemplate thinning down the leftovers to make a base for a creamy soup of some sort, but there are never any leftovers! My boyfriend likes this but asks me to tell him it is mashed potatoes because cauliflower freaks him out.
Very nice. Lots of flavor and good texture. Will make again with some extra ingredients to see how they work.
Oops, I cannot really give a fair rating because I should have read the intro first. I was expecting a cauliflower taste and was disappointed. (We love cauliflower) After adding some grated cheddar cheese, we did enjoy it.