Recipe by dolphyn722
This savory side dish is a healthy stand-in for mashed potatoes. Vary it by adding roasted garlic, shredded low-fat cheese or fresh chopped herbs. (inspired by a recipe from Eating Well)
Top Review by Estelle75
I joined this site just so I could rate this recipe. The results from this recipe are so impressive considering the simplicty of the ingredients and preparation. If that were not enough, this is so healthy! I cook this recipe on a regular basis and often crave it. I don't even like cauliflower all that much. I brought this to a dinner party and was asked for the recipe and my friends are amazing cooks, some of them culinary school graduates. Admittedly, I steam the cauliflower and garlic together by placing them in a big glass bowl with a tablespoon of water, covered with plastic wrap, and I microwave it. I don't think it hurts the results. My "food snob" friends who make this insists on steaming it on the stove and they add wasabi to it. I often contemplate thinning down the leftovers to make a base for a creamy soup of some sort, but there are never any leftovers! My boyfriend likes this but asks me to tell him it is mashed potatoes because cauliflower freaks him out.
- 8 cups cauliflower, cut into bite size florets (about 1 head)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled and cooked with cauliflower
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chives, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cauliflower & garlic until very tender.
- Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor.
- Add yogurt, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with chives, if desired drizzle 2 more teaspoons of olive oil. Serve hot.