Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in a group of newspaper clippings I have, and decided to make it a few nights ago. The crunchy topping gives a nice texture when used with the creamy filling. Be sure not to overcook the cauliflower -- it should be slightly undercooked as it will finish up when the casserole is in the oven.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break cauliflower into small pieces and cook until just tender. Drain and place in a shallow 2-quart casserole. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour and cook together a few minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat and blend in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and simmer until thickened. Stir in salt and pepper. Pour over cauliflower in casserole. Combine the last three ingredients and spoon on top, pressing down if necessary. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Broccoli can also be substituted for the cauliflower.