Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Trim and Terrific: Freezer Friendly Meals"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 6 ounces brie cheese, rind removed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- green onion, for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, saute onion in olive oil until transparent.
- Add cauliflower and cook on medium for 5-7 minutes stirring often.
- Sprinkle flour over tender crisp cauliflower and then pour in chicken broth.
- Add milk and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in thyme and brie and remove from heat. Stir until brie is melted and then add salt and pepper if desired.
- Use an emersion blender to blend soup or transfer to a blender or food processor instead.
- Garnish with green onions before serving.
- To freeze: Cool completely. Pour into freezer containers, label and freeze up to four months. To serve: defrost overnight in the fridge. Warm in microwave or on stove top without letting soup come to a full boil.
I wish this soup would have had an actual brie flavor instead of all the thyme flavor. I made some adjustments to mine. I used plain soy milk instead of skim. I did not blend it in anyway. I added instant mashed potatoes to thicken it as mine did not ever seem to thicken. I dont think this was a BAD soup at all I just bumped it up a notch to make it a heartier soup.
This was quite good! I did increase the brie by a few ounces and while the brie flavor didn't come through on it's own, the combination was lovely and it hid the fact that there were vegetables from my dear BF. Pleasing texture healthy to boot--sign me up. Thanks!!
I had most of Cauliflower and Olives (Greece) leftover and used it in place of the oil, cauliflower and onion. Followed the recipe at step #3. Used rice milk. I would have liked more brie. I know you were trying to keep the fat down. Thanks for the comforting warming soup on a 20 degree day.