Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Bon Appetit 2005. Comforting and delicious! For presentation, garnish each soup serving with a whole star anise if desired.
Top Review by La Dilettante
Just home from a trip to Ireland, and wanted to replicate a carrot-anise soup we enjoyed at La Cave, a French wine bar in Dublin. This is pretty close, although I used half milk/half veg stock for the liquid. Yummers!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups white onions, chopped
- 5 whole star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb organic carrot, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh stock
- 6 chives, stems minced
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large stock pot over medium heat melt the butter. Add chopped onion, 3 star anise, bay leaves and garlic. Saute until the onion starts to soften and glisten, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and fresh stock. Cover, bring to boil and simmer until carrots are very tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove star anise and bay leaves. Using an immersion blender puree the soup until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the remaining star anise and grind to a fine powder. Stir a little into the soup. Adjust seasoning and add more star anise to taste. Stir in the fresh minced chives.
- Serve hot.