Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A creamy soup made with evaporated milk and rice.
Make and share this Creamy Carrot Soup (Low Fat) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups carrots, chopped (no need to peel-just scrub)
- 4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked white rice or 1⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated skim milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oil in large saucepan, add onions and garlic, and cook until tender, adding water if necessary, to prevent drying.
- Add carrots, broth, tomato paste and rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice and carrots are tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Puree soup, in batches, in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to pan. Stir in milk, salt and pepper, and nutmeg. Reheat over medium heat, stirring until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with dollop of plain nonfat yogurt.
This made for a great side to dinner.. full of flavors. We didn't think it was too sweet. Made as written minus the salt, and used white rice. Not 1 complaint. made for Zaar Stars..
What a nice surprise--a tasty, healthy soup that's so elegant it's company-worthy. I did end up using baby carrots and they turned out to be an absolutely perfect foundation for the soup. Not one drop was left over and you can bet that we'll be making this again! Thanks for posting, Mikekey! :)
This was delicious! I didn't find it to be too sweet, but I used a very large carrot and it wasn't too sweet to start with. I think if I made it with baby carrots, it wouldn't have been as good. I made it as listed except half the amount of oil. Made for Went to the Market. Thanks a lot!