Recipe by patnmax
A creamy carrot soup.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I did cut this recipe in half just for the 2 of us, & we found the soup to be solidly satisfying! I've never used much arborio rice, but did find it nice in combination with the carrots & onion! I suspect much of the flavor we enjoyed, though, came from the homemade vegetable broth that I used, since it has so much more flavor than the store-bought kind! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup arborio rice or 1⁄3 cup short-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable broth
- sea salt & fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onion tops or 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and cook, stirring another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and broth and season with sea salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, partially cover the saucepan, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the soup until the rice is soft and the carrots are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and process a few more seconds.
- Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Reheat before serving. Garnish with green onions or chives.
- For Vegetarian/Vegan use only the vegetable broth.