Recipe by Zurie
This has been adapted from an old Bon Appetit recipe. It can be served hot or cold, preferably with crusty bread -- no butter needed. Quantities do not have to be strictly adhered to!
Top Review by KristinV
I made this recipe as a starter for a dinner party and had to make it the day before to make sure it would taste okay because I had to use soy cream to make it vegan. It was MAGNIFICENT! My guests raved about it and demanded the recipe! I teamed it with a cashew crema instead of sour cream. Made for ZWT 7 (The Hot Pink Ladies)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (broth)
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme leaves, stripped off stalks or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup cannellini beans, canned, drained
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1⁄4 cup very finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche, as a topping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot combine the carrots, stock, onion, sugar, cider vinegar, thyme, lemon rind and cumin, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat until soup simmers.
- Cover and simmer until carrots are tender -- about 15 minutes, but test with a long-handled fork.
- In a blender or processor, pureé the soup in batches, adding some beans with each batch. Pour the pureé into a large bowl as you work. Pureé the soup until very smooth.
- Then pour the soup back into the pot, heat up, and add the cream, stirring. Stir over low heat until heated through.
- Add the finely chopped parsley, stir in, and taste: it will need more salt as modern stock granules (if used) are not very salty.
- Serve in warmed soup bowls or mugs, and add a dollop of sour cream to each serving.