Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious, creamy soup with a surprisingly complex flavor. Perfect with biscuits or some other comfort food indulgence like that!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, diced (6-8 large carrots)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or 2 cups hot water and 1 vegetable bouillon cube)
- 2 tablespoons raw white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, broth, rice, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat at let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until carrots ad rice are tender. Fish out bay leaf and discard.
- With an immersion blender (or in a food processor or blender), blend the soup until it is very smooth.
- Pour soup back into the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring. Once boiling turn heat down immediately.
- Add the milk and heat through without boiling.