Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This vegetarian soup is low calorie, low cholesterol, and great is taste. It is a pretty, pale orange that gets substance from the base of pureed tofu.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and diced,divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1 cup crumbled soft tofu or 1 cup silken tofu
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- fresh ground pepper
- In a large soup pot, combine the carrots, about 2/3 of the diced turnips (set aside the rest), the onion, bay leaves, and seasoning mix.
- Add just enough water to cover, bring to a simmer, and cook, covered for 25-30 minutes or until the vegies are tender.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegies to a blender or foold processor and process until smooth, then transfer it back to the pot.
- Combine the tofu and tomatoes in the blender and process until smooth and transfer into the pot.
- Stir until both are combined and return to medium heat.
- Stir in the ginger and cinnamon.
- Heat the oil in a small skill and add the reserved turnip dice and saute over a medium heat until crisp tender and golden, stirring frequently.
- Add the scallions and saute another minute or two until they are wilted.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to the soup along with the peas and parsley Add the orange juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- The soup should have a smooth medium thick consistency.
- Add a bit more juice or water if necessary.
- Simmer gently over very low heat for another 15 minutes.
- If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then reheat and serve.