Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe that me and my husband make every christmas and give these away as gifts. Everybody now eagerly awaits their caramels.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Blend in corn syrup and milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium heat to 245 degrees on candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Cut into small squares and wrap in waxed paper.
Just made two batches for Christmas gifts. I sprinkled sea salt on the caramels after pouring and before cutting. So good! I also wrapped in parchment paper because it seems to stay wrapped better. A new holiday tradition!
Excellent! First time making any caramels, and it didn't fail me! Made a pan half sea salt and half pecan! This recipe made so much, I had to send a box to work with my husband!
Amazing and easy!! I made these exactly as written and what a TREAT!! Thank you for sharing - this will be my go to caramel recipe - delish!