6 hrs 15 mins
The Associated Press. Note: I cut the servings in half but caramelized the entire three pounds of onions and saved the rest for other recipes. Perfect for weekday meals. Because the onions are caramelizing while you're at work or school, and all you have to do when you arrive home is boil the water for the pasta and lightly wilt the arugula. The only thing I did differently was to serve the ingredients separately in lieu of stirring everything together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta (I used fresh locally made spaghettini pasta which took only 30 seconds to cook)
- 8 ounces creme fraiche (or heavy cream or half and half)
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomato (reduced from 3/4 cup. Add more if desired.)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1In a large slow cooker, combine the onions and olive oil. Stir well to coat, then cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until well browned and caramelized.
- 2When the onions are done, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- 3Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain, then set pasta aside.
- 4In the same pot you used to boil the pasta, add the caramelized onions, creme fraiche, arugula and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir over medium heat until the arugula just begins to wilt and the cream fraiche is heated through.
- 5Plate the pasta, spoon the caramelized onion-creme fraiche mixture over it then season with salt, freshly grated black pepper; garnish with fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Caramelized Onion Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.5
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 80.3 mg
- Sodium 107.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 9.8 g