A very popular dish in the Southwest. This is a quick to fix flan that can be prepared in the morning for a great treat after a hearty Tex-Mex dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In iron skillet, over medium heat, cook and Stir the sugar until it is melted and caramel color.
- Divide the sugar into 8 ungreased 6-oz custard cups.
- Tilt to coat the bottom of the cups.
- With a wire whisk, beat eggs in large bowl; stir in the water, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture into custard cups.
- Place the filled cups in a large shallow pan filled with 1 inch of hot water.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Very good and easy to make for this novice cook! MAde for ZWT8.
Delicious. very easy and quick to make, but it took much longer than 35 minutes to cook. turned out delicious and i will definitely make it again.
Absolutely wonderful! I tried to make them the other day, but couldn't get the sugar to melt. Tried for 20 minutes. Then last night used a different pan and it was done in 5. Very easy after that, but you have to swirl the sugar quickly in the ramekins! Texture was smooth, taste was great - will definitely be making often. Thanks Paula!! Made for Aus NZ Swap 37