1/2 Photos of Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta With Bacon
This is my version of this popular dish. I use heavy cream, evaporated milk and sour cream for some seriously creamy comfort... add a bit of crispy bacon and I'm in heaven. I've actually left this in the crockpot on warm for up to 5 hours and it works out fine. You just have to under cook the pasta a bit and double or even triple the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6 chicken breast tenders
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16 ounce) box rotini pasta, cooked al dente
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (I used the kind packed in oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Place chicken, olive oil and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and toss to coat. Roast at 425* for 8-10 minutes, or until just done. Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes, then shred or cube.
- 2Cook pasta according to package directions. You want it to be al dente (or even a bit less than al dente if you will be putting it in the crock pot. You will also want to double or triple the sauce ingredients if you are using the crock pot).
- 3In a large skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels and drain, then crumble. Saute onions and garlic in butter and bacon drippings until onion is tender and browning, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat and add heavy cream, evaporated milk, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, garlic salt, and black pepper and allow to simmer and thicken a bit.
- 5Stir in hot pasta and allow to cook a couple of minutes without boiling to finish cooking pasta and allow it to absorb the flavors of the sauce. (At this point you could place the mixture in the crock pot on warm along with the shredded chicken).
- 6Stir in sour cream, chicken, green onions and parmasean and heat through. Top each serving with crisp crumbled bacon and serve immediately. (If putting int the crock pot, stir in sour cream about 30 minutes before serving--remember to check periodically to see if the pasta is sucking up too much moisture. You may want to add extra cream, milk and sour cream and seasonings. Stir in parmesean and green onions right before serving and top with bacon.).
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta With Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1123.2
- Calories from Fat 526
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.4 g
- Cholesterol 218.9 mg
- Sodium 553.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 46.3 g