Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yet another way to eat cabbage.
Make and share this Creamy Cabbage Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 6 -8 cups cabbage (chopped or shredded)
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons white onion soup mix or 2 tablespoons cream of chicken soup mix
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 220 celsius.
- In a saucepan, fry cabbage and garlic in vegetable oil over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add potato and water to saucepan, turn down heat to medium and cook with lid on until potato is cooked.
- Turn heat to low and add lemon juice and sour cream.
- Lightly mash contents of saucepan with potato masher.
- Mix cornflour and milk and add to saucepan while stirring constantly to thicken the cabbage mix.
- Season with salt & pepper, transfer to ovenproof dish and bake in oven until desired browning.
- Alternatively, place under hot grill to achieve browning.
This is a great cabbage casserole! It makes a great side dish for corned beef. I used reduced-fat sour cream and fat free milk. I'll be making this again..... I may even put some crushed buttered crackers on top before baking. Yum! Thanx for sharing!
GT! I am convinced that I wrote a review for this recipe ages ago but it seems that I must have been dreaming... well here it is: I make this excellent recipe regularly because we LOVE cabbage! Since it has potato in it, I usually treat this dish as "the starch" of the meal and use this as the side to stews as well as baked hams etc. Simply the best! Thanks for sharing a firm favourite in our home.