Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious sauce for pasta, especially in autumn.
Make and share this Creamy Butternut Squash Pesto (Vegan) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small butternut squash (or 1/2 large squash)
- 1 cup fresh basil, tightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra to toss with squash)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 cup soymilk (more or less, as needed)
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cube the squash. Toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Puree squash in food processor. Add other ingredients and puree again. Add more soy milk and process again, as needed, until the perfect creamy consistency is achieved.
- Toss with 1 pound cooked pasta and enjoy!
What a clever recipe! We decided not to add any soy milk. We also think we used too much squash and wish we had used it on fettucini. Either way, the pesto was divine. In fact, it so good I didn't eat dessert because I wanted to keep savoring that yummy pesto!!! Not sure what purpose the yeast serves, other than causing a mess if you try to store it. It'd skip that in addition to no soy milk.
Very tasty! I used almond milk, and walnuts rather than pine nuts. Also used an extra couple Tbs of nutritional yeast for extra cheesiness. We'll make this again. Thanks for posting it!!!!!!!