Yet another scone recipe, I know. This is from the Vegetarian Epicure - called simply Cream Scones originally, but for the purposes of this site, I thought my new title was more descriptive. These are just wonderful.
- Beat together the buttermilk, egg and sugar.
- Mix 3 cups flour together with the baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add about 2/3 of the flour mixture to the buttermilk and stir well.
- Gradually add the melted butter, incorporating it thoroughly into the mixture.
- Stir in the remaining flour mixture and the currants.
- A little more flour may be necessary to form a stiff dough.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead for several minutes.
- Separate it into 3 equal parts.
- Shape each part into a thick circle about 4-5 inches across.
- Cut the circles into quarters with a sharp knife, and arrange the scones on a buttered cookie sheet (I use a baking stone).
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. (watch them so they don't dry out!).
- Serve warm, or cold if you can wait that long.