1/5 Photos of Creamy Buttermilk Scones
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
Yet another scone recipe, I know. This is from the Vegetarian Epicure - called simply Cream Scones originally, but for the purposes of this site, I thought my new title was more descriptive. These are just wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat together the buttermilk, egg and sugar.
- 2Mix 3 cups flour together with the baking powder, soda and salt.
- 3Add about 2/3 of the flour mixture to the buttermilk and stir well.
- 4Gradually add the melted butter, incorporating it thoroughly into the mixture.
- 5Stir in the remaining flour mixture and the currants.
- 6A little more flour may be necessary to form a stiff dough.
- 7Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead for several minutes.
- 8Separate it into 3 equal parts.
- 9Shape each part into a thick circle about 4-5 inches across.
- 10Cut the circles into quarters with a sharp knife, and arrange the scones on a buttered cookie sheet (I use a baking stone).
- 11Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. (watch them so they don't dry out!).
- 12Serve warm, or cold if you can wait that long.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Buttermilk Scones
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.6
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.7 mg
- Sodium 345.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g