Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
Yet another scone recipe, I know. This is from the Vegetarian Epicure - called simply Cream Scones originally, but for the purposes of this site, I thought my new title was more descriptive. These are just wonderful.
Top Review by Genevieve248
An excellent and simple to follow recipe.. These scones are delightful on their own...or you can add your touch of creativity..I added chopped white raisons and a touch of cinnamon. Excellent!!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- Beat together the buttermilk, egg and sugar.
- Mix 3 cups flour together with the baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add about 2/3 of the flour mixture to the buttermilk and stir well.
- Gradually add the melted butter, incorporating it thoroughly into the mixture.
- Stir in the remaining flour mixture and the currants.
- A little more flour may be necessary to form a stiff dough.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead for several minutes.
- Separate it into 3 equal parts.
- Shape each part into a thick circle about 4-5 inches across.
- Cut the circles into quarters with a sharp knife, and arrange the scones on a buttered cookie sheet (I use a baking stone).
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. (watch them so they don't dry out!).
- Serve warm, or cold if you can wait that long.