Recipe by flower7
From the Farm Journal's Complete Home Baking Book, pg 300. This was different from other buttermilk pie recipes already posted. I did increase the lemon zest a bit when I made it (probably closer to 1 tsp). Per the cookbook: "A lemony custard pie with the texture of a cheesecake, topped with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg."
Top Review by COOKGIRl
There's always that one, magical item on the Thanksgiving menu that stands out
over all the rest: this one! Made as written (except for doubling the amount of lemon zest) and using a standard homemade pie crust. I can best describe the texture of the pie as somewhere halfway between soft cheese cake (New York-style?) and a lemon pudding. Wicked good-especially with a cup of freshly brewed coffee...for breakfast....! ;)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, & sugar in a mixer bowl.
- Add flour, melted butter & lemon zest and beat at medium speed until blended.
- Pour mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg (I grated it fresh, right over the pie).
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325F and bake 25-30 more minutes, or until knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean. Cool on a rack.