Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
To make this into a non-refrigerator icing use water in place of cream and margarine in place of butter. This icing freezes well.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (use butter-flavor or white)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (or use 18% table cream or half and half)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- food coloring (optional)
- In a bowl beat the shortening with butter, almond extract, vanilla and whipping cream until very smoooth and fluffy.
- Add in the confectioners sugar and beat until well combined and fluffy adding in more whipping cream if needed to create desired texture.
- Add in food colouring if using.
This did not work at all for us. Followed the resipe exactly and it was heavy and had a strong taste of shortening, we litterally scraped it off to eat the cake and through the extra away. We were very disapointed the recipes are usually great maybe it was just our family but nobody liked it.
Quick and easy, perfect texture and nice and fluffy. Kind of sweet but really what buttercream icing isn't. Exactly what I was looking for - thanks!
Very good frosting. I used this for Pumpkin Cupcakes and sold them at a Brownie Girl Scout cupcake sale. They were gone in no time! Thanks so much :)