Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I am one of the few people I know that loves Brussels Sprouts, but hopefully this recipe will change some peoples idea of this little veggie! The recipe originally called for slices of peppered bacon, but since I'm a Vegetarian I substituted a no-meat version of bacon. I think it turned out great! (the chicken broth can also be substituted for a veggie or poultry flavored broth, for strict Vegetarians) From BH&G.
- 4 slices vegetarian bacon
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved through stem end
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- cracked black pepper
- In 12-inch skillet cook bacon over medium heat until slightly browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserve what oil is left in skillet (add a little if needed).
- In skillet add Brussels sprouts to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 4 minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; cook 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Add cream. Cook 4 minutes more or until thickened.
- Transfer sprouts to serving dish. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and cracked pepper.