Recipe by Kim127
We just love Brussels Sprouts and always quickly eat up any we get from the garden.
Top Review by bmcnichol
Very good. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't have gruyere cheese so used swiss. I also didn't have white wine so used chicken broth instead. Everyone enjoyed them.
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup shallot, thinly sliced (about 4)
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, trimmed and cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, finely grated (about 3 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain the bacon and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the shallots and the Brussels sprouts and cook over medium heat until the shallots are soft and the sprouts have begun to turn golden (about 10 minutes).
- Add the wine, salt, and pepper. Stir well, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken stock and stir.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the sprouts are tender and the liquid is syrupy and reduced to half (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer to an 8 x 10 inch casserole.
- Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and add it to the Brussels sprouts.
- Add the cream and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until the liquid is bubbling, the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.