Recipe by Kraft Natural Cheese
A time-honored recipe that promises from-scratch flavor without all the fuss
Top Review by eggertcarol
What a great soup! I added a little crushed garlic, but other than that followed the recipe as printed. I think the cream cheese adds a nice flavor, but not a sharp cheddary flavor. I even used low fat (not fat free) cream cheese! Really nice soup. I'm sure you could add more herbs such as chives, but I didn't do it.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.)
- 1 (8 ounce) package KRAFT Shredded Triple Cheddar Cheese with a Touch of PHILADELPHIA
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- COOK and stir onions in butter in medium saucepan on medium-high heat until onions are crisp-tender. Blend in flour.
- ADD milk and cream cheese; cook on medium heat until cream cheese is melted, stirring frequently.
- STIR in remaining ingredients; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Substitute: Substitute frozen chopped spinach; frozen cauliflower florets, chopped; or frozen asparagus spears, chopped; for the broccoli.
- Use Your Microwave: Microwave onions and butter in 2-qt. microwaveable bowl on HIGH 30 sec. or until onions are crisp-tender. Stir in milk. Microwave 3 to 4 minute or until heated through, stirring every 2 minute Stir in cream cheese. Microwave 4 to 6 minute or until cream cheese is melted, stirring every 2 minute Stir in remaining ingredients. Microwave 30 sec. or until heated through.