Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in a newspaper from a lady in western Pennsylvania and found it to be the best broccoli soup I have tasted. I always omit the nutmeg, and use broccoli florets instead of chopped broccoli.You can also substitute cauliflower or chopped spinach too. This could also be a vegetarian soup.It is not for the dieters.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash pepper
- In a 2 quart saucepan, cook onions in margarine until tender.
- Add milk and cream cheese; stir over medium heat until cream cheese is melted.
- Add remaining ingredients; heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
Very, very thick and rich. I used real cheddar in place of Velveeta, but otherwise followed the recipe. Although it was good, I would have liked more broccoli and more flavor in the soup. I would probably double the broccoli, add more milk and maybe some garlic next time. Maybe even decrease the cream cheese a little. Thanx for posting!