Recipe by C & D's Mommy
It's made with milk to keep it lower in fat, but it is a very hearty yummy soup. Goes great with a nice crusty roll, or thick slice of french bread!!
Top Review by newspapergal
Very good, and perfect for a chilly weeknight when I wanted something on the table fast. I had about a half-cup of FF half-and-half to use up, so I used that and then the rest as directed, with skim milk. I used brown Minute Rice, and increased the garlic. This is good and filling, and I used my immersion blender instead of transferring the soup & dirtying another dish, so it wasn't completely pureed. I topped with fresh ground pepper and additional parmesan.
- 1⁄2 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth (I use homemade stuff, but canned is fine, try using low sodium)
- 2 cups water
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli, cut into 3-inch lengths (About 2 small bunches of broccoli)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (the lower fat shaker stuff is fine)
- salt and pepper (to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic and celery.
- Add chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in broccoli and rice and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Stir frequently.
- Take small batches of soup and put in a food processor or blender. Blend until pureed. Return all blended soup back to pot. Add salt and pepper if you're going to.
- Add milk and cheese and cook until heated through.