Recipe by Karenlee #2
Am not sure how easy smoked eel is to find elsewhere (it's very popular in Holland), but if you can find it, the flavour of this rich, tasty soup is awesome (an well as bursting with broccoli and omega-3 goodness). Also turns out ok using smoked salmon, but eel is best! Please note: I think chicken bullion cubes are bigger in Europe than the US. The recipe needs about 15 grams.
- 500 g broccoli
- 1 potato
- 100 g smoked eel, filet
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 125 ml unsweetened whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the broccoli and cut rosettes from stem. Separate rosettes into even smaller ones, peel the stem and cut it into slices. Peel and wash the potato, and cut it into chunks. Cut eel into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Bring 3/4 litre water to the boil and add broccoli, potato and crumbled bullion cubes. Bring to the boil again and cover. After about 3 minutes, remove 1/4 of the broccoli rosettes, rinse under cold running in a sieve, and reserve for garnish. Add cream to soup and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Puree soup with staff mixer or, even better, in blender. Add salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce to taste. Ladle into pre-warmed bowls and garnish with eel and reserved broccoli rosettes.