Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
No cheese in this one.
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, chopped
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- In a stock pot, heat the oil and add the onion, cooking until translucent, then add the thyme and garlic.
- Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, cayenne pepper and thyme leaves, and immediately add the stock; stir.
- Bring stock to a boil, and add broccoli and mushrooms. Cover, lower heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 or until broccoli becomes tender (depends on the size of the broccoli pieces).
- Whisk flour and paprika into a small bowl along with the evaporated milk. Stir into soup, and raise heat, stirring constantly. When soup comes to a boil, if your soup is thick as you like it finish by adding the cream and removing from heat. If it's a little thin for you, whisk some more flour in the heavy cream and add that, stirring until it boils and thickens.